Y115 Health Services
The nurses in District 115 serve all of the students in our 10 schools through direct services and through consultation with staff, family and administration. Nurses support all aspects of health and safety in the school community by providing emergency care, facilitating access to school health care, and identifying and managing health issues in the school that impede student learning. Every school health office is staffed with a Registered Nurse in order to provide continuous health care to the students and staff during the school day. Some of these services include:
- Providing care and first aid for illness and injury at school.
- Maintaining the school’s communicable disease prevention and control program.
- Providing health information and counseling for students, parents, and staff.
- Safely storing, administering, documenting, and monitoring the effectiveness of medication given at school.
- Identifying students with special health concerns and developing health care plans with students and families.
- Maintaining accurate records to assure compliance with state mandates including immunizations, physical examinations, and medical conditions.
- Providing health programs as required and needed including education and screening for vision, hearing & dental.
- Being a resource for health and wellness for classroom teachers, staff and parents and providing expertise on health information and curriculum.
- Communicating with students, families, staff and community agencies to identify and provide services and programs to meet the physical and mental health needs of children and families.
- Collaborating with school multidisciplinary team of psychologist, social worker, and specialists to identify and provide health information, services, modifications, and plans for students.
- Participating as crisis team members and providing crisis intervention for students and staff in the event of sudden illness or injury.
Support is provided by Certified School Nurse, Maribeth Surma. District Health Student Services Administrator is Denise McCarthy.School Nursing Staff