Superintendent's Student Advisory Council
In a continual effort to expand opportunities for direct stakeholder feedback, a Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) was established during the 2017-18 school year. The SSAC allows the superintendent to hear concerns and feedback directly from District 115 middle and high school students in a casual, non-threatening setting.
Regular meetings are scheduled throughout the school year. During the meetings, students are asked to share their school experiences and work together with their classmates to keep the superintendent apprised of issues related to the school’s education, climate, and facilities.
SSAC members must be current District 115 students in grades 7-12. Members are selected to serve for one school year, and may reapply annually. To ensure representation on the council mirrors the school's demographic profile, participants are selected based on a variety of factors, including grade level, demographic information, and areas of interest. Returning and new SSAC members are contacted regarding their interest in participating on SSAC in August, with the first meeting of the school year scheduled in September. A verbal/written recommendation from a district teacher or administrator is required for each new applicant.
What can students expect?
- The opportunity to share their voice and help administration understand what students need and want from their educational experience.
- Open and honest communication between students and the superintendent.
- Regular meetings held with the superintendent and facilitated by the director of communications.
What is the profile of the ideal student candidate?
- Concerned about the needs of all District 115 students
- Works collaboratively with others
- Has a willingness to offer suggestions/advice for improvement on many different topics (educational programming, facility usage, school climate, etc.)
- Expresses views and opinions honestly, openly, constructively, and respectfully
- Has a desire to make Yorkville CUSD 115 great place for students to learn and grow