Acceleration, Gifted & Talented Education
District 115 is committed to providing a range of educational programs that meet the different learning needs of all students. Children who exhibit exceptionally strong intellectual abilities and demonstrate the potential for performing significantly beyond the standard curriculum--when compared to other peers of their age, experience, or environment--have learning needs that require differentiated instruction. This instruction includes content, strategies, and expectations of student performance.
- Provide access to appropriate curriculum through enrichment and/or acceleration
- Inspire lifelong learning that nurtures curiosity, creativity, and confidence
- Support the social, emotional, and intellectual growth of the accelerated learner
- Educate and support the professional learning of staff and community
Illinois and District 115 Policy
- "Accelerated placement" means the placement of a child in an educational setting with curriculum that is usually reserved for children who are older or in higher grades than the child. Accelerated placement is not limited to those children who have been identified as gifted and talented, but rather is open to all children who demonstrate high ability and who may benefit from accelerated placement.105 ILCS 5.
- District 115 Board of Education Policy 6:135